Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Creamy Thai Chicken Salad

I love it when my husband helps me out.   That's really a dumb statement.  He helps me ALL THE TIME with LOTS of stuff.  BUT I love it when he helps me come up with a recipe.  I don't often ask for that kind of help, but he has a great palette and he really thinks out of the box.

Left over rotisserie chicken was sitting in the fridge just BEGGING to be made into the next spunky new chicken salad!!!  (yes, it did speak to me...what of it???).  I was in the mood for Indian / middle eastern or Asian flavors.  Tom helped me to decide on Asian -  Thai Chicken Salad it would be! 

The sauce was a culmination of my basic knowledge of some of the Thai flavors and Tom's "extras".  He was a great taste tester, he added lots of flavor with  his additions, he wrote down everything I was throwing in the salad and he snapped the photos. AHHH!  SO NICE and MUCH quicker!!

The flavor of this salad is spicy, snappy, bright and creamy all at the same time.  We put it in a tortilla (cause that's all I had) but you can use Lavash bread, pita's, regular bread, fresh spring roll wrappers, or top a green salad!!   Any way you eat it you will find it filling and it will satisfy that need to the favor of Thai when you get a craving!

Thai Chicken Salad





1 Cup Chopped Chicken (I used one breast and one thigh)
1 carrot, grated
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon Thai basil (OPTIONAL - you wont find this anywhere but the Asian market - leave it out if you don't have it)

Sauce
1/4 cup Best foods LOW FAT (the green one) mayo
jucie of 1/2 lime and it's zest
1 teaspoon peanut butter (I used low fat)
1 teaspoon chili garlic paste
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon mined ginger
1 teaspoon fresh lemon grass (thinly sliced and finely minced)
  • NOTE ** If you cant find Fresh. use the lemon grass in the tube OR you can find it in jars - fresh is inexpensive and available just about everywhere.  Freeze it and use it whenever you need it - its easier to chop and slice when frozen.
Make the sauce....combine all ingredients and whisk very well until combined - set aside.



In a large bowl add the chicken, carrot, bell pepper, cilantro, green onion and the Thai basil, if using.



Mix in the sauce






You are so totally DONE!  Use this how you wish - Wrap it, top it, eat it plain or sandwich it!!   We put it into Tortillas, but use your imagination....be creative....but comment and let others know what you did with it, or better yet, send a picture!!



The Result?  A Cool, bright, spicy and very Thai tasting twist to chicken salad, perfect for when you need a meal with the zap of cool, refreshing, flavor!

From my home to yours, Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment