Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tilapia Tacos


Who doesn't know that a good cookbook is SUPER hard for me to resist?  Especially if it's a cookbook from a chef who's career I follow or a person/restaurant who is of Special interest.  And, even though my hubby complains like the dickens about my cookbook collection, it PALES (by miles) to those who are really serious about food, it's preparation and it's presentation.

I really do read them from cover to cover.....LIKE NOVELS!  There I am, in my bath with a glass of wine (and harp music),  reading the cookbook, sizing it up, laughing at the anecdotes, getting to know the chef and determining  whether it will be a book I will indeed cook with, one I just get ideas from or one I will display just for the art that it is.

I follow the happenings of certain chefs peripherally...you know - pick up their newest cookbooks, eat at their restaurants,watch their latest show, notice news about them or notice commercial products in the stores they put their names on.  Those chefs are the likes of Tom Colicchio, Rick Moonen, Gordon Ramsey, Rick Bayless, Mary Sue Milliken, Susan Feniger, Michael Chiarello, Biba Caggiano, Julia Child (yes, deceased but STILL AMAZING), Rocco DiSpirito, Curtis Stone and a  myriad of others. 

So you can imagine my excitement when I get a new cookbook from one of these guys - and HOLY COW - if I am able to swindle an AUTOGRAPHED book??? OMG!  So, needless to say when a box arrived from my mother this morning  WITH an AUTOGRAPHED copy of Biba Caggiano's new cookbook, 'Spaghetti Sauces', it just made my day (well, my whole entire month really).  Check this out!


And the best part:


YEAH.  That's cool.  We will be reviewing some of the recipes in this book....TRUST ME.

I was JUST as excited about a product I found from Rick Bayless called Frontera Skillet Sauces.  (Frontera is Rick's restaurant in Chicago).  These little packets of delicious cooking sauces are not only fantastic, they are reasonably priced and make a gourmet dinner in about 10 minutes!!  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!

If you happen to grab any cookbook by Rick Bayless they are wonderful and worth it.  He has a show on PBS called,  Mexico: One plate at a time.  And his cookbook, Authentic Mexican, is superb. I believe he was named as this country's foremost authority on Mexican food....and I believe it!  He's definitely one of my faves for great recipes and believe me they are gorgeously replicated.

Tonight I made Tilapia Tacos with his Key Lime Cilantro skillet sauce:


Literally here is what I did....sauteed a bell pepper, onion till slightly tender added 3 small tilapia fillets (salt and pepper the fish) and cooked until flaky. Broke up the fish pieces and poured the sauce over.....warmed it all up and served it in my favorite corn tortillas with Sour cream, jack cheese and lettuce.

LESS than 10 minutes and I was enjoying a meal as good as it gets if you make the sauce yourself.



If you cannot find this sauce, use any good quality green tomatillo salsa verde, pour over fish and veggies and heat through....Voila!

The result?  A fast, easy and healthy weeknight dinner that is as beautiful as it is delicious!  It's definitely worthy to serve to the most precious people in your life.

From my home to yours, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment