Monday, August 1, 2011

Asian Inspired Krab Salad

OK.  I admit it.  I thought imitation Crab was garbage.  Oh, you know....I would have "that look" and turn my nose up at it when I walked by it in the store.  I would think...who uses that? 

Well, I am in a new Bunko group....and let me tell you this.  These Ladies can cook!  All the food at Bunko was fantastic, but my favorite thing was the imitation Krab salad.  I know....laugh now.  But it had dill, celery, carrots and big pieces of the Krab.  I know this is gonna sound weird, but I haven't eaten many Krab salads. But that salad changed my mind about this ingredient.  The texture was great...not chewy or salty and it seems like it lends itself to many different flavors.  So, while at the market, I snatched up a  package of the flake style. 

It just sounded cool, easy and lite. Nice and cold crab salad on a hot day.  Now I just had to choose what kind to make.....I settled on Asian flavors because those flavors are refreshing, cool, and somewhat comforting in the middle of this "humidity wave" we are having.

Now being a dork, I made the salad and took pictures, only to delete them by accident.  So I made another batch....YUMMY mistake!

Any nice crunchy veggies will do.  I happened to pick a cucumber from my garden and had snow peas, celery, etc....  If you don't have something on the list, substitute with something else!  I also think a bit of mango or mandarin oranges would work well too.  My mango wasn't ripe enough and I didn't have any oranges, but add them if you have them!

Asian Krab Salad



For the salad:
8 oz package imitation crab, flake style
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/2 cup cucumber, small dice
1/4 cup snow peas, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons roasted slivered almonds
A few tablespoons of shredded carrot for color
Zest from 1/2 lime
Sesame seeds, toasted

For the dressing:
1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Ponzu sauce (sold where soy sauce is sold)
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (or more to taste)
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Chili or Chili garlic sauce (otherwise known as Sambal Oelek) available at any market in the Asian section.

Mix all ingredients for dressing and set aside to let flavors meld (taste it, you make want salt, pepper, more of this or that...)

In a mixing bowl, add all veggies, cilantro and almonds. 


Pull the Krab apart with you fingers (cut the biggest pieces) and add to the vegetables and add the lime zest




Pour in the dressing,



Stir to combine.  I refrigerated the salad for a couple of hours (because I wanted it super cold), but it would have been delicious served immediately.



Serve on cracker's, over cold brown rice, or eat as is - Top with sesame seeds.

The first night I served cooled short grain brown rice with a bit of soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.  The second time, with Asian Pearl couscous.....add the same ingredients as the rice but add green onions.

The result?  A simple, but not traditional Krab salad that is both delicious and refreshing.  It might just change your mind about using this innovative product, while putting a little more fish into your diet.

From my home to yours, ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment