Saturday, July 30, 2011

Mango and Avacado Salsa

"I feel like I have been hit by a Mac Truck".  Ever wonder where that saying comes from?   I mean really.  Did someone get hit by a Mac Truck and say "hmmmm that feels like how my toughest days feel"?  I tried to look up how this cliche came to be, but couldn't really find anything.

For me, Summer aids the "mac truck feeling".  The heat sucks the life out of me.  I have to yell and scream at myself just to push through my workouts.  It all just  leaves me heat exhausted, cranky, and tired.  I am envious of you who LOVE the heat and can't get enough of the summer! Living here in So Cal makes be wish I were you!

For me? I dream about fall and Winter.  About cool days, cold nights and glorious rain.  Just knowing the seasons will change gives me comfort and soothes my soul. 

Metaphorically speaking, I really do feel like I have been hit by a Mac Truck this week. Thank goodness for the weekend.  I am hoping to recharge my batteries and inspire myself (and hopefully you) with some great cooking.

I feel food in the summer should revolve around something refreshing, cool and bright. I want what I call "happy flavors" and Mango Salsa fits the bill.  Cool, refreshing, slightly sweet with some creaminess from the Avocado.  This is a great accompaniment to any simple chicken or fish. I also like it with baked chips as a healthy alternative to dips.

This little salsa has to power to momentarily make me feel like Summer isn't so bad...

Mango Avocado Salsa
For WW's - the only points come for a tiny bit of OJ and the avocado


1 Mango - pitted and diced  (you can used peaches or nectarines also!)
2 tablespoons onion, finely diced (I used a sweet Texas onion)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, or more to taste
2 tablespoons finely sliced green onion
1/4 of a red bell pepper diced (can be any color)
1/2 to 3/4 cup halved or quartered  cherry tomatoes
1 small-med avocado diced - don't like avocado?  leave it out!
1/4 cup orange juice
zest of one lime
Juice of one lime
 

My garden is going crazy and I am gathering about 2 pints of cherry tomatoes per day, I gather my gorgeous tomatoes first:


To a bowl,  add diced mango's, onions, cilantro, green onion, bell pepper, halved or quartered cherry tomatoes, avocado, and the zest of one lime.



Mix it with the OJ and squeeze a fresh lime over the top, Stir to combine.  Set in the fridge until the rest of your meal is done.



** Note about OJ - I keep an opened container of frozen concentrate in the freezer.  I pop the top and scoop out what I need for that dish and mix with a bit of water.  This way I can get a bit of OJ when I need it and  I cant make it as strong or weak flavored as I want it.

I haven't put jalapeno in this.  Mainly because I just love these flavors and don't want the heat disturbing the balance.  That's a personal taste thing, so if you love them, a finely diced jalapeno would be a great addition!

This is a great salsa to add or remove ingredients, So I encourage you to mix it up!

I served it with store bought, teriyaki marinaded Chicken kabob





The result?  A cool, bright and almost creamy salsa for Chicken or fish that will revive you in this heat!  This is so easy to make and so beautiful.  Easily making you a summer, meal making rock star!

From my home to yours, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment