Sunday, July 3, 2011

Georgina's Green Enchilada's

A couple of weeks ago I had two friends from my "old" place of employment over for a "cooking night".  It was great seeing them.  It made me realize how much I miss them.....then later it made me realize how much I miss everyone over there.  It's weird when you spend 11 years with the same people, it's hard not to think of them often and miss that part of working in an office environment. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love my job.  I love working from home.  I love my life right now....it's probably the best it's been in a very long time, maybe EVER.  I have a great husband who I try not to take for granted, two of the MOST gorgeous grand kids anyone could ever want, and we are at the precipice of building our our dream home in Washington.  I mean really...How many blessings can one person take?

But in the quiet moments nostalgia sets in and I remember people who have touched my life.  Georgina is one of those people for many reasons, and I find myself missing her so much.  

Then I think, Hmmmm - is it her I miss or her INCREDIBLE Green enchiladas I miss so much?  HAHA- Of course, I miss "smorgy" (as I called her) but I have to say...the Green Enchiladas are such a close second that I had to stop and think about it for a minute! 

She has graciously given her blessing for me to post her family's recipe for these delicious rolls of green goodness as she patiently directed me via telephone.  Her mother has been making this for over 40 years and Georgina is following the tradition. 

I was thrilled to make this recipe. I am more thrilled to post it for all of you.  They were delicious, the real deal!  But while we were eating, I couldn't help but feel something was missing.  Yep, Georgina was'nt part of the equation.  Had she been here, it would have felt like old times.

Making great food is more than recipes and cooking technique.  It's about the home, your friends and your family - that's the touch no accomplished chef can give to a meal.  That part is up to us.

Green Enchilada's
Compliments of Georgina Mancillas
Thanks my friend!



1 whole chicken, boiled
12-15 large tomatillos, husks removed and fruit quartered
Knorr chicken flavored bouillon granules
5 jalapenos, top cut off, left whole
1 onion, roughly chopped
3-5 garlic cloves
1 bunch cilantro
Salt and pepper
Approx. 2-3 cups, shredded jack cheese (use light, if you want to lighten it up)
12 corn tortillas

Put chicken in pan and cover with water.  Season water with several tablespoons of Knorr bouillon granules.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer and let chicken cook until it’s very tender.  Remove chicken to dish and let cool, then shred chicken.  Add some of the broth used to cook the chicken to moisten it.  Set chicken aside 

***  I cheated here - I used Chicken breast tenderloins and poached them in the Knorr bouillon water till tender.  I have to admit.  It's a great "fast way" of making these...but the flavor and tenderness wasn't what the whole chicken would have been.

In case you are unfamiliar with Knorr Bouillon granules,  I have a picture below....you can find it usually in the soup section or Mexican food section of the market:



Husk and quarter the tomatillos.  In a medium sauce pan, add the tomatillos and the whole jalapeno’s and just enough water to immerse them.   Bring to a boil, cover and cook until tomatillos are tender (maybe 15 minutes)


Put the cooked tomatillos and the jalapeno’s into the food processor (or blender) being careful not to add too much of the liquid from the pot.  In other words, you will “semi-drain” them by utilizing a slotted spoon or pouring off most of the liquid.  KEEP THE LIQUID you cooked the tomatillos in until the sauce is made.  THEN, add to the processor the garlic cloves, onion, roughly chopped cilantro. 



Process until fairly smooth, adding the tomatillo liquid as necessary to get an enchilada sauce consistency.  Flavor the sauce with some Knorr granules.**** Taste****   you may want to add some salt and pepper, more Knorr, cilantro, etc….


Put sauce into a sauce pan and warm and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

The authentic way is to heat some oil in the pan and soften the tortillas in the oil, remove to a plate and add shredded chicken and Cheese, roll up and place seam side down in a 13X9 pan.  If you can afford the calories, go ahead and do that, I didnt. 

I am a FREAK for these Homemade style La Tortilla factory tortillas...so good and so toothsome - they have a great chewy texture that doesnt get destroyed in the baking process. 



Instead, simply warm the tortillas carefully in the microwave, then dip each one in the sauce, add chicken and cheese :


Then roll up the enchilada and place them seam side down in a SPRAYED 13X9 pan.


Top with remaining sauce and then finish with remaining cheese:


Bake for about 20 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving - serve with  Mexican Crema or sour cream if desired.  


The result?  An authentic enchilada with an absolutely delicious and fresh "old world" flavor.  To me?  It tastes like "home" because of my friend.  For you,  maybe it will be a new family favorite!!   Either way, these enchiladas are worth making! 

From my home to yours, ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment