Monday, July 18, 2011

Tender Beef Stir Fry - Mexican Style!

By now you know I could spend HOURS in the kitchen working on one meal - (and making a HUGE MESS).  But NOT when I am literally starving to DEATH.  During those times, I want something FRESH, GREAT TASTING AND HEALTHY  - and yes, I STILL want it fast.  I know what you're thinking....but the answer is NO!  Those canned, boxed or pre-made convenience foods are not really options for me on a regular basis. Even if I need food faster than you can say "Dinner is served !!

After my work-outs I am SO hungry these days!!  NOT not a little.  I mean REALLY, REALLY HUNGRY and a bit on the CRANKY side.  Well, OK...maybe more than just a tad, bit cranky (sorry honey!!)   But it's true.  I cant help it - that dip in blood sugar takes it's toll and POOF (like the little bunny Foo- Foo) I am turned into a mean, cranky and IMPATIENT hungry person!!

Sometimes I have  2 pt shake as a quick snack while I cook.....I feel (somewhat) satisfied so that I can withstand  cooking without eating everything in site during the process, But STILL, that darn meal better be on the table FAST because my body burns  that shake up quickly when my metabolism is in high gear!!

If you are growing veggies - especially cherry tomatoes and/sweet peppers - this is a great recipe to use them in.  I had just harvested a pepper and some tomatoes (along with green beans!)  I threw everything in with other veggies in an effort to boost nutritional value by creating that all important "rainbow" of colors (we will talk about that later), and to BULK IT UP!! 

Go ahead, throw in the kitchen sink (or not) depending on your preference - this recipe can take it!

Tender Beef Stir Fry - Mexican Style


For the STEAK
1/2 Pound top sirloin, skirt or tri-tip (I used a tri-tip steak)
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
salt and pepper

For the Stir Fry
1-2 small to med zucchini squash cut into sticks
1 large onion sliced thin
Cherry tomatoes (quartered or halved)
ANY OTHER VEGGIES YOU WANT (cabbage or green beans....?)
Your favorite salsa
Fresh cilantro - chopped
Avocado, Diced
Fresh limes
olive oil

FOR THE RICE
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 Pack Knorr Fideo con pollo (chicken noodle) or any other Chicken noodle soup mix

First Get your rice in your rice cooker or on the stove.  I used a rice cooker - I added the rice, water and ONE packet of the chicken noodle soup:



Let rice cook and gather the balance of your ingredients:


Grab your steak - it's best to have it partially frozen so it's easier to cut into thin slices



Now thinly slice your steak AGAINST the grain:


In a bowl, toss the steak with the garlic and chili powders along with a good amount of salt and pepper - add more spices if you wish and then squeeze in the lime.  Toss well and set aside.  It should look like this:
                                (Definitely not that exciting looking...but the taste is great!!)


Prep your veggies:


Prep your mango by cutting off the flesh then dice and set aside:



Now heat a non stick pan with a little olive oil until very hot.  Toss in your seasoned meat and COOK FAST until JUST BARELY DONE - if you overcook now, you will end up with chewy steak!!  Trust me on this one.  REMOVE your steak to a bowl and set aside.  Toss out any juice that accumulated in the pan and reheat with a bit more olive oil.

Add the onions and cook until nicely golden (not too dark) - The flash "bleached out some of the color (sorry!)


Then add peppers, and other veggies that take a bit longer to cook and saute until crisp tender.  Add zucchini and saute until done ( just a few minutes or they will be too soft)

** Check your rice for doneness and turn off (if done) and let sit:  It should look like this - note the little brown noodles in the rice?  YUMMY in your TUMMY!!

  Add your meat, tomatoes, fresh chopped cilantro to taste and about a 1/2 cup of prepared salsa. Toss until hot and REMOVE FROM HEAT (your tomatoes will sort of smoosh from the heat, which I like!)

Put the stir fry over the rice and top with mango, avocado, cilantro and extra lime juice!



The result?  A quick, healthy and delicious meal that's full of color, flavor, nutrition (Don't forget the YUMMY rice!)  This is a great dish to get your servings of fruits and veggies.  PLUS its an opportunity to use up the stuff in your garden or veggie bin.  AND, if you want - go ahead and throw in the kitchen sink!

From my home to yours, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment