Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mango Salsa Chicken, and other stuff!

OMG!!  (that's OH MY GOSH in text speak for those of us who are challenged!)  I had the best workout last night.  I did full body weight training and I was so pumped, I did 75 stomach excercises on the ab maching and THEN, I did my 25 minute "Body for Life" work out on the bike!  WOW.  When I got done, I was literally a ball of SWEAT but in such a great, engergized mood!!

But it was about 7PM when I got done,  the hubby was just getting home and I was S-T-A-R-V-I-N-G!!!
I meant seriously starving.  I quickly had a fast 2 pt WW shake to get some protein in me fast, then started thinking "SHOOT - I need something super good and super healthy and I NEED IT NOW!!!"  NOT an exaggeration by the way....

Ususally, I am very prepared.  You know, I usually know what I will cook, how I will cook it and frankly, the sucker is already defrosting or coming to room temperature.  On top of that?  I have generally figured the points for it! (yes, I know I am a control freak and anal.....I've been told.  Some things never change!) but Alas, I was not prepared and did I mention starving???

All of this brought me to the MANGO.  I know that sounds weird !!  In my fridge was a GORGEOUS, perfectly ripe, succulant mango. It was calling my name, literally.  I am on a kick to start eating and cooking with 2 mangos each week.  They are delicious, super healthy,  and as fruit goes,  low in calories.  Their versitility allows them to be used in both savory and sweet dishes and can be cooked or served fresh with little or no compromise to the fruit or it's nutritional content.

Isnt that awesome?

It's interesting to know that of all the fruit in the world, it's the Mango that is the most popular.  LITERALLY, more fresh mangos are eaten everyday than any other fruit in the world.  The fruit was first grown in India over 5,000 years ago.  India is the world's largest producers of what is said to be the best quality mangos.  It's such a popular fruit however, that India can barely keep up with it's own demand for the fruit so almost none of them are exported out of their country.  If you have been to India and tasted their Mangos...I would love to know if the flavor is any different!    Here in the US, we treat mangos as a "special" or tropical fruit and not as a daily fruit.  We generally get our Mangos from Mexico, which is the second largest producer of the Mango.

Fun note:  More countries in the world eat GREEN mangos (meaning unripe) than they do ripe!! I find that fasinating!

The reason I am interested in them is for flavor and vitamins.  Mangos are bursting with protective nutrients for our bodies.  As the mangos ripen they become higher and higher beta carotene as this is what the mango is famous for.  Immature or unripe mangos pack a major punch with Vitamin C. Even though the mango is ripening, ounce per ounce their sugar content remains lower than most fruits.

OK....so I digress

I didnt know what the heck I was going to do with it.  I wanted dinner in 15 minutes or less!  Here is what I yanked out of the freezer, fridge and pantry:


Ready grilled chicken, onion, mango zuccini, pace taco sauce/salsa and i went to work and created a really fast, really ymmu and really healthy recipe that is low in WW points!

But first, there is the little matter of cutting the mango flesh off of that HUGE pit.  I know what you are thinking....it will take 15 minutes just to peel and cut up a whole mango.....What a pain !!!

NO SO!

I have the COOLEST tool ever.  A mango pitter!  Fast, Fast, Fast!  First you skin the mango then put the mango pitter across it like this:


And push to the bottom to get two perfectly lucious "fillets" of fruit as I call them!


 The one on top is the seed.  PERFECT.  Now I quickly sliced and diced the mango and ended up with this:


Isnt is gorgeous?  Perfect, easy and fast.  This is one product I will never do without.  If you dont have one you must get one...for 12.50 it's the best investment you will make (unless you have something against mangos and you want to be discrimitory towards them, but that's another topic!)  I have highlighted the item to the right under products I recommend on Amazon....check it out.

I finished the rest of the recipe in one skillet, put it over some brown rice I had and finished it with light sour cream and fresh limes:






Mango Salsa Chicken

1 ripe mango
6 oz cooked chicken breast diced
1 cup or more of salsa or taco sauce
1 onion chopped
1/3 cup cilantro chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinced.
1 cup zucchini, diced
2 tsp garlic cloves, minced
Whole lime cut into segments

Make some brown rice, quinoa, bulgar or any other grain of your choice.

In a large sauté pan, preferably non-stick, spray with cooking spray and heat till very hot. Add onion and sauté until browned. Add garlic, diced zucchini, cooked chicken, mango, black beans, cilantro and salsa (use more if you want it sacier)
Heat until everything is heated through and starts to bubble.
Don’t over cook it or the mango will just dissolve.
Serve on quarter of the pan over rice or other grain, top with light sour cream, cilantro and more lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment