Monday, April 18, 2011

Sometimes you just need soup!!

AWWW.  Soup.

I love all kinds of soups.  Quick soup, long slow simmered soup, creamed, uncreamed, spicy, thick or thin soup, winter soup, summer soup..........well, you get the point.

Its satisfying, warm, comfy and really almost medicinal in it's quality to make us feel BETTER! 

I had a tough day today.  Work was just "a lot".  Monday's are the dreadful weigh in day at Weight Watchers. (yes, I am a dork....who weighs in on a Monday??)  But, I weighed in with the women who I call "just wrong!".  She's condescending and just makes me feel bad.  I would have been OK if it was anyone else.  BUT NO!!!  I get HER.  I lost a half a pound.  UM YEAH....BIG DEAL.  Here's the problem, I am working out SO HARD, burning about 400 PLUS calories each day, tracking, eating and cooking healthy...blah, blah, blah.....and I have been gaining and losing the same damn half a pound for 5 weeks.  So, what does any normal 47 year old woman do?  I cried and pouted through the whole meeting!!  Yes I know.  I need to stop this...it's a lifetime change.....I KNOW!!  But I just want the scale to show it.  Why is that so hard? UGGGHH

Thank God for my partner in crime who got me laughing afterwards and talked me "off the roof" so to speak.(thank you so much!)

YEP....I am on a plateau.....and I decided, you know what???? I NEED SOUP.  HAPPY, QUICK, SATISFYING, and COMFY soup.

So I made 'Weeknight Mex Chicken Soup'  It took me 15 minutes and it's not only good, it's everything you expect a soup to be.  Great flavor, easily adaptable to any addition , and did I mention FAST????

The recipe makes 4 BIG bowls......and I just put it in the WW recipe builder and each serving is about 6 points...Plus whatever toppings you put on it.  This recipe was adapted from a cookbook I highly recommend called, GREENLITE BITES.  It's by a women who lost 70 lbs on Weight Watchers and the recipes are from her journey (it's always called a journey)

The first batch I made from the book was good, but it was just a little too simple tasting so I Shelleyized it, OF COURSE.

I made the soup.  I ate the soup.  It's power did not fail me.  I feel better, happier, and satisfied tonight.  So did my great husband who puts up with ME!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!!

Weeknight Mex Chicken Soup



6 ounces cooked chicken, cut in small cubes
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (I use roasted tomatoes)
1 can great northern beans,undrained (or any bean of choice)
1/2 small can green chilies, diced (optional)
3 cups vegetable stock
2 oz dried Bulgar (If you cannot find, use couscous)
At least 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lime and more for each bowl at the end.
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 Cayenne (optional) or to taste
1 bay leaf

Add broth to large pot, and bring to a boil, add the tomatoes (with juice), beans (with juice), green chilies, Bulgar or couscous, lime juice, cilantro, all spices and bay leaf.  Return to boil and reduce to simmer. Cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve in large bowls with any of the following:  Light sour cream, reduced fat cheese, avocado, more cilantro and/or baked till crisp corn tortilla pieces. 


I told you...SUPER easy.....surprisingly good.....definately satisfying.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment