Saturday, May 7, 2011

FAST Curry Chicken Salad Wrap

What a busy weekend.  It's Mother's day.  I am, of course, cooking for 10 or so people.  A menu/grocery list had to be  prepared,  grocery shopping had to be done, the house picked up, and the backyard put into perfect order! 

Between you and I, I'm just not in the mood to work that hard!! 

I know I'm not alone.  Many of you must be doing the same thing!

I stopped whining and just sucked it up.  I came up with a menu that is not only elegant and delicious, but fairly easy to prepare. A truly fresh, vibrant and healthy meal which will be sure to satisfy (and pamper) all of us (including me!!)

The menu:

THE DRINK:  Bellini's (prosecco or spumanti with Peach schnapps)

THE APPETIZERS:
Ceviche - Halibut and Shrimp in a tangy lime/cilantro sauce with mango
Peel and Eat Shrimp - I am using store bought cocktail sauce - some things are not worth making!
Hummus with homemade Pita chips (See archive for Pita Chip Post)

THE LUNCHEON:
Asparagus and Asian pear Salad
Lemon "risotto" (SO MUCH EASIER than regular Risotto)
Chicken cutlets with freshly made Mediteranian Cherry Tomato/kalamata olive topping

THE DESSERT:
Chocolate dessert cups w/vanilla ice cream and my homemade caramel sauce (OK...this isn't lite OR healthy - But it's mothers day, and I am going to splurge - Portion control to the rescue!)

Planning this menu made me STARVING. What I haven't mentioned is I had almost nothing in my house to eat!  Well, that's not entirely true - I have a pantry with so much stuff a family of 4 could survive for a week, but I was craving fantastic and vibrant flavors, and I wasnt going to find it in a can in the pantry.  I just wanted something fresh, light and ON PLAN that would knock my socks off.   Let's face it.  Progresso soup was NOT going to do it for me. 

YEP, I think I could be considered HIGH MAINTENANCE!

I had some left over rotisserie chicken in the fridge - WAIT!  I have lavash wraps too - But I was bummed - I would have loved to make my "famous" curried chicken salad recipe, but I didn't have all the ingredients....SAD!

So instead of staying sad, I improvised.  This is a very scaled down version of my regular Curried Chicken Salad.  BUT IT WAS FAST, had relatively few ingredients and is LIGHT, VIBRANT and FRESH.  AWWWW.  The craving was quelled and I was happy.

If you don't have Lavash bread, NO PROBLEM!!  Don't rush out to buy it.  Use regular bread, tortillas, or Pita's.  The chicken salad is also especially good on top of your favorite salad veggies for an even lighter and healthier meal. 

FAST, Curried Chicken Salad
1 serving: about 8 WW points plus points.

For the dressing:
1/2 cup LOW FAT Best Foods Mayo (not the LIGHT one)
1 teaspoon or more to taste sweet (not HO) curry powder
zest from 1/2 lime
Juice from 1/2 the lime
1 tablspoon honey (I used orange blossom)
salt and pepper

Add all ingredients to a small bowl



Whisk together and set aside.  TASTE - you might want more curry, lime juice honey, pepper, etc...

For the Chicen Salad
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed small
1/4 onion, finely diced
1 whole mango, pitted, skin and diced
1/2 cup (or more to taste) celery, sliced or diced thin
1/4 cup dried cranberries (no cranberries - use dried cherry's, currant, raisens, or dried dates)

Lavash bread (or any other wrap or bread you want to use)
Lettuce leaves

Put all of the above ingrediants in a large bowl


Add the dressing and mix well.  Add more salt, pepper or lime juice, if desired.

On a large piece of lavash bread lay out lettuce leaves and add HALF of the chicken salad mixture:


Roll up the wrap like to resemble a large "log", leaving the ends open.  When done, cut in half.  One serving is HALF the lavash bread ( the size I bought anyway) with 1/4 of the chicken salad.


The result?  A very satisfying chicken salad wrap that really delivers taste and is easy on the waistline. I didnt miss the FULL version.  Try serving with sliced cucumbers and seasonal melon for a complete meal.

Happy Mothers day to you and yours!  From my home to yours, ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. This was DEFINITELY a hit in my house. Everyone loved it and wanted seconds and thirds. Obviously I will be making this again. Next time I am going to add bell pepper and cayenne.

    ReplyDelete