Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Balsamic Cherry Sauce

The cold hard truth is hard to take.

Hello.  My name is Shelley and I am a COUSCOUS addict! 

After writing the blog yesterday and then discussing couscous salad with people I just couldn't take it anymore.  I HAD TO MAKE IT AGAIN.  OMG...it was just as good.  Now let's discuss what happened.  I PRACTICALLY ATE THE WHOLE BOWL.  THIS HAS TO STOP.  I NEED TO BE DONE!! 

OK.  I feel better.

I promised I would blog about the Pork Tenderloin.  It was delicious.  People have said ....well, I don't really eat pork or I don't like pork all that much. NO PROBLEM...this sauce would be fabulous on Cornish game hens or simple baked chicken or ALL OF THE ABOVE.  It really is good.

Now, I made it pretty spicy.  I didn't really mean to, it sort of just happened.  It happened because it takes the sauce a while to become hot so after tasting it, I thought...WOW it just isn't that spicy.  OMG! Be careful!  After simmering, sitting and then baking the sauce intensifies and it really heats up. So go a bit easy on the Chile paste.  I'm toning it down in this recipe for the populous, but feel free to kick it up a notch (an Emeril saying as you may recognize), or leave it out altogether.

Pork Tenderloin is a very lean meat.  It has less fat than red meat and more protein than chicken breasts. Of all the pork products, the tenderloin is the healthiest.  The wonderful part is that it's so tender and it cooks very fast.  Pork is a great meat for any fruit based, sweeter sauce.  The tenderloin is easy to prepare and requires no real pre-seasoning or marinating to be excellent.

The WW points (weigh your meat and figure ounces) about 4 PP for ONE FOURTH the sauce.

1 pork tenderloin (some packages have two small ones inside - still perfect)
1/2 cup Plum Sauce (Asian food section)
1/2 teaspoon Sambal Olek  AKA: Asian Chile Paste ( I used 1-1/2 teaspoons this is THE HEAT)
1 teaspoon or more to taste Minced Garlic
1/8 cup diced dried cherries
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small sauce pan add the plum sauce, sambal olek, garlic, dried cherries and balsamic vinegar.  Bring to a boil and then simmer until cherries are a bit plump and sauce a bit thick.  (if too thick add a bit of water or stock)  Set aside.

Pat tenderloin dry and place in sprayed roasting pan.  Add salt and pepper to all sides.  I use a meat thermometer (probe style) and set temp at 140.  Pop it in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes.  After 10 to 15 minutes top tenderloin with sauce (I just put all of it on the roast) and bake until the meat reaches the desired temperature.

If using chicken, top chicken with the sauce and bake till done.  Let the roast sit about 5-10 minutes before slicing.



Pour the sauce all over the top of the roast and serve.  **Yes, this is the Couscous salad again.....LOOK AWAY  FROM IT!!  (and a glass of champagne...just because!)



The result?  A tender, juicy roast with a sweet, spicy, deep flavored sauce that is absolutely company worthy AND easy to prepare.

From my home to yours, ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. This was the best meal I have had in a long time! Very satisfying, it has the sweet and spicy flavors that really complement the pork well! I could not stop eating it so I was glad to know that it was not only great tasting but good for you too! This is a great meal to prepare for guests because it looks extravagant but is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!! i made this tonight for dinner and it was AMAZING! me and my friend ate the whole pork tenderloin. it was such a satisfying and tasty dish!! The sauce was so incredibly simple to prepare, i felt like i cheated!!! it tasted like there was much more to the sauce, but i made it in 5 minutes! i am planning on making this dish AGAIN this weekend...i want to eat it everyday!! A MUST COOK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was probably the best "non-occasion" meal we have had in a long time. The pork was PERFECT! The sauce was absolutely delicious and perfectly compliments the pork. Next time we make the sauce I will add more than an 1/8 of a cup of cherries....they were my favorite part!! The pork temp was spot on...super juicy and tender! Not to mention the couscous salad was a great side to the pork. It was really everything you want in a side dish. Next time I will try it with jalepeno lime olive oil, ginger rice vinegar, and double up on the veggies and cherries! You really have "the touch" with food. Keep the posts coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete