Friday, May 13, 2011

Orange-Sesame Glaze

I have been yearning for my Orange Sesame Glaze for a  long time now.   But, when I looked at my recipe I realized that the base was ALL OIL!! (unthinkable now, right?)  Because of that, I have been depriving myself of it for months.  Let's face it, Weight Watchers just doesn't give enough points for a CUP of oil...LOL (no joke, it had a cup of oil !!!)  I have no idea what I was thinking when I created it...

It wasn't that I didn't really know HOW to cook healthy (obviously I make a lot of great healthy food!) but it's that I just didn't care to think about it.  Oil was handy and the basis for lots of sauces and dressings.  Up until now, I just didn't want to take the time or effort to convert the recipe. 

As the saying goes, the evil you know is better than the evil you don't.

But I cannot shake my NEED for this sauce.  It's the perfect sauce for grilled Chicken, Rare AHI tuna steaks, grilled shrimp, sauteed tilapia.  I used it as a salad dressing, on top rice or as a seasoning to any Stir Fry.  It's also the perfect dipping sauce for pot stickers, fresh spring rolls as well or for baked cheesy won tons (both of which I will blog about sometime)

So I did it.  I have taken this heavily oiled, points heavy sauce and lightened it up....A LOT!  The best part is I was able to achieve the same great flavor....well I lied.  It's actually better than it was!! Who knew?


I have the ingredients in my pantry at all times, so I can whip it up whenever!  I hope you do too!

Let me know what you make with it and send a picture (see contact page), I will post your picture and your ideas!!

Orange-Sesame Glaze
2 WW points plus!!  (makes 1 cup or 6 generous servings)

1/4 cup orange juice concentrate (not OJ)
2 tablespoons sesame oil (I used dark)
3 tablespoons Seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds*
2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium)
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (bottled, any brand)
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon dried chives (or fresh chives or sliced green onions)

*  If your sesame seeds are not toasted, toast them in a dry pan over medium heat until browned.


Mix all ingredients together, add the sesame seeds and set aside until ready to use!




The result?  A simple, tangy, Asian sauce that is highly adaptive to many dishes.  The taste is fresh, authentic and flavorful, without the extra oil, calories and heaviness!  Happiness has returned to my palette!!!



From my home to yours, ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment